• Ontario hospitals are not using palliative performance indicators in their balanced scorecards
Every hospital corporation in Ontario uses a balanced scorecard to track important indicators that measure their performance in priority areas. However, despite a broad multi-professional and societal interest in improving end of life care, very few hospitals are actually tracking palliative performance indicators.
• Just ask: discussing goals of care with patients in hospital with serious illness
The Canadian Medical Association Journal (CMAJ) has published important work by CARENET researchers about discussing goals of care with patients in hospital with serious illness.
• This week on TED.com May 25, 2013
Last year, Judy MacDonald Johnston helped two beloved friends make a plan for living out the end of their lives the way they wanted to. Now, in this short, personal talk, she shares 5 key lessons she learned along the way, on medical planning, caregiving, communication ... and the simple reality that we all need to talk about this.
Watch TED Video
• ACCEPT study publications now available!
• Advance Care Planning in Canada: Just Ask! Patients want doctors to talk to them about end of life issues
• Advance Care planning by Stuart Foxman
• How Doctors Die
• New Brunswick hospitals latest to offer patients expanded end-of-life care options
Read More: National Post
• Most Canadians have no written plan for end-of-life care, poll finds
Read More: Ottawa Citizen
• Advance Care Planning in Canada: Time to Start the Conversation About End of Life Care!
Dr. Heyland recently presented information on Advance Care Planning (ACP) in a video conference hosted by the Northern Medical School.
• The ACCEPT Study - Join the Initiative!
Information on joining an initiative that will will help governments and health professionals better understand how advance care planning practices can improve care and address the many issues the health system faces in delivering services to an aging population.