CARENET is based at Kingston General Hospital in Kingston, Ontario, Canada and led by Dr. Daren K. Heyland, a Professor of Medicine and Epidemiology at Queen's University in Kingston.
CARENET is a group of health care professionals from across the country who collaborate with each other to understand and improve palliative and end-of-life care through research, healthcare/patient tools and communication and decision making between patients, their families and health professionals.
As a group, we believe that we can make significant improvements to end of life care in Canada by optimizing communication and decision-making between seriously ill patients, their families and health professionals.
- To foster clinically-relevant, collaborative multi-centre research related to Palliative/End of Life (P/EOL care) with a focus on communication and decision-making.
- To recruit, provide mentorship, and training of junior investigators in the field of P/EOL care.
- To create a forum for interdisciplinary members of the NET to exchange expertise about diverse research methodologies, measurement techniques, and designs in this field.
- To build research capacity through networking of experienced P/EOL investigators that collectively are more productive (value added) than working individually with their own grants.
- To develop knowledge translation strategies to disseminate best practice and policies derived by the group.
- To improve P/EOL communication and DM through medical trainee education and professional development.
Director- Dr. Daren K. Heyland
Dr. Heyland is a Professor of Medicine and Epidemiology at Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario Canada and is trained in Internal Medicine, Critical Care Medicine, and Clinical Epidemiology. He currently as the Director of the Clinical Evaluation Research Unit at the Kingston General Hospital. Over the past several years, he has organized and chaired a multidisciplinary, multi-institutional research team to guide the conceptualization, implementation, and interpretation of research in end of life decision making and quality care assessments. As the Director of CARENET, Dr. Heyland is responsible for the overall operations and scientific leadership of CARENET. Under Dr. Heyland's leadership, CARENET has successfully obtained peer-reviewed funding for EOL research and has published extensively in this area.